Thursday, October 14, 2010

Afghanistan Through My Eyes

Still waiting for my orders.

The hard thing about waiting is that your imagination begins to wander.

This morning I woke up in a cold sweat.
I was in a sand colored hummer with other soldiers and we were driving on a long desolate stretch of highway. Looking ahead between two soldiers helmets I saw the flash.
Should I jump out? Will we be be hit with a rocket? Is it too late by the time you see the flash?

Then I thought, why do they, the soldiers do this? What goes through their mind?
Is it because we the American people have sold being a soldier as a job, like being a police officer or a fireman. Are they risking their lives in Afghanistan for their country or to put food on their table or to get an education?

These are questions I want to find answers too. I want to know who these soldiers are who are risking their lives.

I still want to believe life is not cheap. I need to believe life is not cheap.