Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Afghanistan Through My Eyes - Out and About

I left the comforts of the FOB I was at in Jalalabad...that smoothie everyday was really addicting. The FOB I'm at now is more my speed. It's much smaller but still has some creature comforts, showers, great DEFAC and electricity.

I'll be here for a couple of days and won't be able to access my computer with photos, but at least I can use the MWR. All the main buildings here are built out of thick concrete walls and have high ceilings to catch the heat near the decoratively hand pressed tile.

Outside it's hot. There FOB main street used to be "the deadliest street in Afghanistan". It reminds me of High Noon. At the end is an Evergreen shipping container.

For once I arrived at a FOB in the daytime! I spoke with a soldier on his way out of here back in Jalalabad and he told me to maker sure to pack my flashlight as there are little ditches all over the place for the run off that everyone falls in.

The helicopter ride over here was again, so peaceful. The Nangarhar Valley boasts lush green fields near the Kabul River all the way to the desert where the land turns brown and dry. The contrast is unreal.