Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Afghanistan Through My Eyes - make a difference

I can't believe I'm having a little technical snafu regarding my trip back. The timing is a little off to visit the 2/3 as they are having a blackout the time I want to visit. But hopefully I can pull it off.

Going to Afghanistan has really opened up a new world for me. I've always bought Soldiers/Marines etc. coffee, dinner or what ever when I run into them in the airport and I always try to thank them. Most of the ones I meet are very quiet. I don't ask if they are coming or going, but they all seem to have the weight of the world on their shoulders.

I like having their presence around though, because it gives my life a little perspective. If I get up in the morning and am alive it's a great day. It means I have another entire day to try and do something that is meaningful. If we could all be so focused in this world on a daily basis we could all accomplish so much.

So if you're reading this, no matter where you are, go out and make a difference today. It doesn't have to be huge. Pick up the litter you see when you're walking down the street. Help an elderly neighbor by offering to take them somewhere, teach a child how to jump double dutch jump rope or go online and donate somehting, even a dollar to a charity you think deserving.

Remember, our troops and Veterans make a difference in our lives everyday.