Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Afghanistan Through My Eyes - Jacksonville connection

I can't believe the people I run into. I remember reading that in Ernie Pyle's book "Brave Men", he was always running into people over and over again.

I seem to be making a name for myself. Today I hitched a ride over to Camp Bastion. It's adjoining Leatherneck, but that gives you the size of this place. The Marines I've run into think that is the book to write, hitching through Afghanistan during the war.

Today I spoke with Sargent Justin Soloman born and bred in Jacksonville, Florida and I had breakfast with Rob Welky Chief Petty Officer.  He plans on retiring to Jacksonville.

Here on Leatherneck there is every faction of the armed forces and quite a few women. The women here are generally liked. They are treated like sisters and seem to soften the environment.

One of the casualties of war and being deployed is marriage. There is a lot of divorce.

The sand has taken it's toll on this USO MWR computer, so I'd better quit while I'm ahead.