Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Afghanistan Through My Eyes - provisions

The update is: my helmet will now arrive no later than Monday and my flak vest has cleared customs. At least I will be prepared if I return in spring with the 25th division. I'll only have to wait for my embed orders.

When I told Gabriel that I'd be coming through Kabul I asked him if there was anything he wanted from the US. He told me no, that they already have metric tons or Oreos. This comment reminded me of an excerpt from the book, "Brave Men" by Ernie Pyle. He was speaking with an infantry man who had just received yet another package of SPAM from his wife. For those of you who don't know SPAM was created by Hormel as the miracle meat in a can. The catch phrase was, "If You Want Something Grand Ask For Spam." 100 pounds was shipped to the Allied Forces in WWII.

But for me personally, I can't imagine there ever being enough OREOS.