Monday, October 25, 2010

Afghanistan Through My Eyes

I broke down today and emailed my guardian angel Gabriel. I'm getting a little concerned about the logistics. Hopefully I'll hear from him tomorrow.

I have always been interested in logistics and how things work. I didn't know about the Ordnance Division until I read Ernie Pyle's book, "Brave Men". They are the division that repairs refurbishes or recycles everything, from jeeps, to tanks to ammunition and small arms.

In WWII they couldn't get the rifles back out to the infantry fast enough. Soldiers would be standing around begging for them so they could get back to the front.

Of course soldiers being people, like to personalize things, carve their names etc. There was a story about a rifle butt that had a circle hollowed out and replaced with a picture of a girlfriend or young wife and sealed with a silver dollar size crystal probably from a watch. They didn't know what had happened to the soldier, but some other guy was out in battle with someone else's girl.