Sunday, October 24, 2010

Veteran's Chapter - WVFV

I still haven't heard from ISAF. I'm hoping because tomorrow is Monday I'll be getting that email.

Last night, I attended an amazing concert and benefit for Work Vessels For Veterans. It was very exciting because after the first act of Kal David and The Real Deal they had an award ceremony. A gentleman who flew in a bomadier squadron during WWII was there. He had a hard time getting on stage. He then told about his service during the war and how he had a hard time balancing because his feet had been frostbit so many times while flying missions.

He went on to talk about being a person behind the uniform and how hard it was to return to civilian life. He came all the way from Connecticut to make the presentaion of a star cut out of an American Flag to the organizer of the WVFV here in Jacksonville, Florida.

I wish I had a pen and paper because I wanted to write it all down. I am just terrible with names. He went on to explain that it was perfectly acceptable to award the star from the actual flag because they had to be either disposed of by burning or by serving another useful purpose.

I have always been a patriotic person and still get goosebumbs when I sing the star spangled banner looking at the flag blowing in the wind. I think of all the soldiers who fight under it and sometimes die for it.

Did you know that: When the Flag is used to cover a casket, it should be so placed that the union is at the head and over the left shoulder. The flag should not be lowered into the grave or allowed to touch the ground.

Aftet the awards ceremony we were treated to Dave Mason who plays one mean guitar and performed his song, "All Along the Watchtower".

I was proud to be there in support of the Vets.