Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Veteran's Chapter - Dennis E. Hackin

Ho Bo Woods: Although the history of the 1st Battalion, 5th Infantry Regiment is long and diverse nothing exemplifies the Bobcat’s superior training and expert teamwork quite as well as their actions while operating in the Ho Bo Woods in Vietnam.  During this era the Bobcats conducted so many operations in this area of South Vietnam HHC/1-5 IN came to be known as the “HoBo Hustlers”.  During these years 569 Bobcats paid the ultimate price, including three soldiers who received our nation’s highest honor, the Congressional Medal of Honor. 

SGT. DENNIS E. HACKIN: Vietnam 67-68 Charlie Company 1/5 Mech Infantry 25th Division

"Somehow I made it through that year. I saw things I don't want to remember and I wish I hadn't seen. I survived the "Tet Offensive". When the 'trac' I was driving hit a land mine and was flattened like a pancake, my buddies thought I was dead. One of them wrote 'the' letter home telling them what a swell guy I was.