Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Afghanistan Through My Eyes

Two days to go before I begin my trip back into Afghanistan. I am really feeling the pressure, but hope to still get everything done that I have too. Last time it all seemed so surreal that I was strangely calm.

I've been reading up as much as I can on the history of Afghanistan and the Taliban. It's been disheartening to say the least about what has happened to the Afghani people and the role we've tried to play in "the great game".

I'm really looking forward to hooking up with the Army. My oldest brother was in the Army and served in Vietnam. He's never talked to me about it except the one time I asked him and he told me about watching a helicopter disappear in the air in front of him. When he returned from the war he stayed in California where he's lived ever since.

War does things to you that you didn't expect. I never expected to be going into a combat zone at 52 years old...again, but I'll be there writing about it and all the troops I meet and try to find something good about the day. Sometimes it's a good day if you see the sun come up.