Saturday, April 16, 2011

Afghanistan Through My Eyes - Deployment

I'm at the Inn at Schofield Barracks on O'ahu, Hawaii. I've been to O'ahu before, but never to a military base. It's not exactly the Hawaii I remember.

On the flights over from Jacksonville I met some very nice people. I learned my lesson from last time and brought cards so people could follow my blog.

One gentleman I met has a cargo service and was on his way to Guam. When he mentioned it I asked him if the head in the airport on the base still has the names of all the troops. He knew exactly what I was talking about because there was a wonderful story in an issue of Vietnam Magazine, that he had also read, about a soldier who was on his way to Vietnam and had found the head full of names and stories from all the soldiers who had passed through. What a small world. He's going to see if he can find it for me and take a picture!

Sgt. Lovelace from Jacksonville, Florida picked me up at the airport here in Hawaii. He is very nice and was telling me how there was a bit of confusion regarding his orders and that he almost got sent back to Iraq about a week ago. Then he told me that a couple of his buddies were killed. It's the worst part about this job. It puts everything back into reality.

The orders are out to "draw weapons" at 2000 tomorrow.