Saturday, April 23, 2011

Afghanistan Through My Eyes - deployment

I’m still in transit and will most likely be for another couple of days.

Yesterday, I flew on my first C-17. It is amazing, much different from the C-13 that I fly “in country”. It’s cavernous and I felt guilty that we didn’t fill it. The C-13’s and helicopters I've flown “in country” have been packed with people and cargo.


The last FOB I was at was a “transiting FOB” that all Troops have to go through, both coming and going. I interviewed the CO that heads up the medical team, Col. Bannister yesterday. She is an amazing woman who does her job well, professionally and passionately.

I am now at a FOB “in country” where the Army enters. Last time I was at Leatherneck with the Marine Corp. These FOB'S are huge and where the factions go to be refreshed in combat training before being sent to their assignment.

“Guns Up” with live rounds from here on in.