Friday, March 16, 2012

Afghanistan - Heading Back to Fenty

Tonight is my last night in my bed, with a bedside lamp and drinking a beer. Tomorrow I head back to Fenty and the 3BCT 25th Division. I am very excited to see old friends and how they fare.

My emotions vacillate from excitement to apprehensiveness. I find myself doing superstitious things, like packing the same exact things I packed the last two times I embedded and trying to follow the same ritual of a last beer or staying up late or making sure I have a copy of my passport and of course writing a note to each daughter about how proud I am of them and how much I love them.

I am a lucky one...I have lived an amazing life, done what I've wanted to do and no one can take any of my memories or accomplishments away from me.

I have just one more mission to achieve...to be a voice for the warrior that takes their time to talk to me and tells me about what's on their mind. And to let them know their appreciated by civilians like me.

I can't help but think about the soldier who went crazy and murdered innocent children and wonder what happened.

There has been a lot of blood spilled in Afghanistan...I'm surprised the dirt is not red.